November 13, 2011 16:01 PM
Submarine Museum To Draw More Tourists To Melaka
MELAKA, Nov 13 (Bernama) — A decommissioned Royal Malaysian Navy submarine converted into a museum submarine will be opened for public tours for 10 days from Nov 22 at the 1Malaysia Square, Klebang here.
Melaka Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam said the submarine berthed yesterday and would be raised from the dock on Wednesday and transported to the exhibition site through a makeshift jetty three days later.
He said the French made SMD Ouessant (Agosta 70 class) submarine, which was built in 1979, had been handed over to the state government.
The submarine museum project costing RM12.6 million is expected to draw more tourists to Melaka, he told reporters during a site visit here today.
Tickets for the exhibition are priced at RM3 for adults and RM1 for children while senior citizens will get a 50 per cent discount, he told reporters at the Submarine Museum here today.
The Agosta submarine was used for the training of the first Malaysian submarines crews from 2005 to 2009 following a contract signed by Malaysia for the acquisition of two French Scorpene submarines in 2002.
The submarine was transported on a floating dock back to Malaysia on the first week of October and handed over to the Melaka government.
Article source: http://tourism-melaka.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default