MALAYSIA EYE TO BE BUILT IN MELAKAMarch 16, 2012 0 By melakatour
Friday March 16, 2012
By ALLISON LAI
New giant ferris wheel for Malacca
MALACCA: Malacca will get a new giant ferris wheel from China to replace the previous structure that was shut down and removed two years ago after a 10-month legal tussle.
Dubbed the Malaysia Eye, the new 88m-tall giant ferris wheel from China will be built at Pulau Melaka by a local company. It is expected to be operational by June 1.
The previous 62m-tall Eye On Malaysia ferris wheel, a joint venture between MST Ad Suria Sdn Bhd and state-owned Eye On Malaysia Sdn Bhd, ceased operations in 2010 after Belgian owner Fitraco MV took possession of the wheel on Jan 7 that year over an RM18mil debt by MST Ad Suria.
The wheel was removed by Fitraco in October the same year.
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam said the new structure would be shipped to Malacca by the end of this month and piling work at the man-made island would start next week.
“We are hopeful that the ferris wheel would be operational by June 1, in time for the school holidays,” he told reporters after presenting the special government school aid to 255 pupils at SK Datuk Demang Hussin in Bukit Katil here on Wednesday evening.
Mohd Ali said the state government was not involved in the RM40mil project, to be carried out by KAJ Development Sdn Bhd.
“The giant structure will be inistalled on a 0.8ha site, which will also be acquired by the company,” he said.
Mohd Ali said that with a new and taller ferris wheel, Pulau Melaka would be developed further with attractions.
Asked about the quality of the China-made ferris wheel, he said: “Not all products from China are of low quality.
“This time we will make sure what we get is of good quality and safe for public use.”
The state government, in recent years, had been criticised for acquiring China-made coaches for its Malacca river monorail system, stretching 1.6km from Taman Rempah in Pengkalan Rama to Kampung Bunga Raya Pantai.
Hours after it was opened to the public on Oct 21, 2010, the monorail ground to a halt, stranding 20 passengers.
There has since been a series of test runs and rectifications, besides plans to extend the line.
Article source: http://tourism-melaka.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default